Creating a new email campaign with SuiteCRM
1) Create a new campaign
The campaigns module allows you to send a strategic or tactical message to your customers.
The purpose of the campaign can be : to acquire, retain, cross sell, stimulate usage, provide a customer service message or reinforce a brand.
You can track what interest to your targets . The system updates the numbers at which targets have hit a campaign as well as those who have clicked on tracker links
Email campaign full process
Create the campaign name (& details)
Create email templates
Create target, suppression , test and seed lists
Create and embed tracker links
Build, test and execute, email campaigns
Conduct campaign analysis
To create a new campaign:
- Select All / Campaigns Menu
- Then, in the right side, click “Create” button.
2) Define your new Campaign
In Suite CRM you can manage different types of campaigns , not just on-line campaigns.
Newsletter: A recurring email campaign with predefined frequencies (Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, Annually) and predefined target list with options to subscribe and unsubscribe from a a web portal.
Email campaign: Is a one time campaign: When you create an email campaign, you can execute it trough Suite CRM and view statistics to measure it success.
Non email based campaigns: You can create a record for your reference about TV, radio , etc.
Planning the campaign
- Determine content of campaign ( what include in the email)
- Determine the type of campaign ( it’s going to be a recurring newsletter type or is this a one time summer sale ?)
- Determine targets for campaign ( who are your targetting in this campaign?)
- Work with IT ( if you need send too many mails to avoid spam filters)
To define a new campaign:
- Complete the required fields , marked with a * . Name, Start and end Date .
- Some Objectives and description (are optionals)
- Status :Active ( It is important)
- Very important! : Select type EMAIL
- Click SAVE
The bugdget ( and actual cost, impressions, expected cost and expected revenue) you’ll need to fill in the field after the campaign has commenced . The information you enter here will affect the return on investment chart.
(Impressions: the number of page views generated from the campaign)
- Campaign: A coordinated effort where the objective is to deliver a set of individual email marketing messages to a specific audience
- Target: An individual that is touched by marketing , not by sales; who you have some information on, but does not qualify as a lead or contact ( If they responds to a campaign they become a lead)
- Target list: Multiple target grouped together according to a set of predetermined criteria such as age group or spending habits.
- Lead : Any person , organization or company that may be interested in your product or services; generally a person (If they are a genuine sales opportunity , they are converted into accounts, contacts and opportunities)
- Contact: An individual that you will , are or have don business with, usually associated with an account ;always a person.
- Users : Employees using the Suite crm system
- Accounts: Companies with a primary contact in the account record for your campaign.
3) Launch the wizard
The wizard makes it easy and walks you through the steps to create a campaign.
- click on the “Launch wizard” button
4) Create The target list
A target list is a collection of people who will receive the campaign email. You can add leads, contacts, targets and/or users to a “target list”.
Target list types
- Default: Everybody in this list will receive the campaign email.
- Seed: List of people who need to be notified when a campaign has been sent. The will receive a copy of the email. Typically you would add users of the application to this list.
- Test: List of people who would receive the test emails, Can be used to work on the email messaging before it is sent outside.
- Suppress – By Id: List of people exempted from the Campaign email. say for a campaign you have a default list of 100 targets of this list you do not want to send emails to 20 targets, first add these targets to a list of this type and then associate the list with the campaign.
- Suppress – By Email Address: Same function as previous type. In this case exemption is based on email address comparison.
- Suppress – By Domain: with this type you get an additional field “No emails to Domain”, you can set a domain name in this field. say you want to suppress emails to @yahoo.com, set yahoo in the domain field.
If you don’t have a Target list , make a new one . Fill these fields and create an empty list :
- Use the type default.(This is important , else it wont work)
- Save and continue
5) Define the Marketing email
Upon selection of the mailbox the default “From Name” will be filled you can override this value, since the recipients of the email will see this name as the sender of the email.
- Name : Name of the “Marketing Email campaign”
- Use Mail Account : Important! select your outbound mail (previously configured and operational , when you click it , your mail must appear.)
- From Name : Displayed by the email .
- Reply-to: If your target wants reply to you.
- Send This Message To: Select all target list or one list.
- Status : Active
- Start Date & time : When the email campaign will start to send “mails to your targets”.
- From Address : Email address
- Email Template: Important! Create a New one or Edit an existent template. This is the mail for your customers.
Click “create” button. This is the window to create or edit a mail template.
6) Create an email template
- You can create personalized email messages for each target (specify variables , such as recipient’s name and email address from your list of campaign targets)
- Embed images and attach files from the SuiteCRM repository or from your local file system. First option reduces the size of the outgoing emails.
- HTML editor (use it to add style and formatting to your template)
- Plain text version (for recipients who won’t be able to view the HTML format)
- Tip :During the test phase of the campaign be sure to review the email in a few different email clients when you’re testing it because the formatting changes per email client and you may need to adjust the formatting.
Create an email template
- Name (Email template name)
- Subject (of the campaign , recipient will see)
- Body : The full message . Add all what you need to send. Images , text, links, etc. Also you can use HTML code.Click in in the button HTML
- In the bottom you will find the browse local files.
- Insert Variable: You can insert $contact_name , to show in the email , the contact name . There are many variables to use.
- Examples of variables
- and many more…
- Campaign emails can contains links to direct targets to URLs such as an external Website or a .php file on your system.Tracker URL’s are specific to campaign
- New tracker URLs mus be created for each campaign
- Tracker URL names are case sensitive (pay attention to upper and lower case in the names)
- Plain text email: add value of tracker url . Must manually add opt-out link.
Tracker Link Types
- Redirect links: when recipients open the email and click on a URL link, the system, using the unique key identifier, tracks each action by each mail recipient.
- Unsubscribe links: Allow targets to unsubscribe themselves from your campaign mailing list and the system logs the action for your records (included by default, required by law)
Click save to continue.
Click next in Marketing email page
Click finish to go to summary . In the next step, we will populate our Target list.
7) Add contacts to your target lists
Click on the “eye” icon in the right side of your target list
Entries , tells you how many contacts has your list.
Here, you can load new targets , to include them in your email campaign.
If you have previous contacts loaded in your CRM you can include them too.
- In the section Targets , Click on the arrow in the right of create , and click Select
- Then click on the check-boxes to select your contacts in the bottom of the page.
If you don’t have previous contacts loaded in your CRM
- Click on Create below Targets sections.
- Fill with your contact information and click save button.
Click save to add your new target and your contact will be added to the Target list.
8) Go back to the menu ALL/Campaigns
click on the mini icon to “launch wizard” to go back to the summary page.
You are now ready to test/send your campaign. for these action you will be using the “Send Test” and “Schedule email”‘ buttons from the Campaign detail view.
In the “Marketing email” section click on Schedule Email . They will be sent in the time you have configured in the step 5.
9) You can monitor your Email Campaign status ( and ROI)
- View and monitor status (to view status for each unique email sent out)
- Track return on investment (fon any campaign that you execute. Suite CRM provides an embedded ROI report on the “closed/won” opportunities generated from the campaign.